Mate - American Queen Steamboat Company
Posted on: June 7, 2021
NOW GATHERING APPLICATIONS FOR AQSC 2021 SEASON START UPS
In addition to the application process please copy and paste the
link below into a separate browser window for consideration.
The Mate is part of the US Coast Guard licensed navigational
watch team in additional to being part of the overall deck crew
management team. The Mate is the second license on watch while
underway with the primary responsibility to provide support to the
Pilot in way of safe navigation of the vessel.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the safety & well-being of all passengers, crew
and the vessel
- Stand the navigational watch in the Pilothouse as the second
license on duty
- Provide support to the Pilot to ensure safe navigation of the
vessel; this includes but is not limited to:
- Checking bridge, power line & all vertical clearances
- Checking lock queues & notifying the lock of the vessel
- Checking river stages, weather and other conditions that may
affect the vessel
- Making security calls to scheduled ports of call
- Boat handling, steering & maneuvering as directed by the Master
- Vessel traffic coordination
- Act as On Scene leader in all emergency response
- Respond to all Emergency Situations & General Alarms in
accordance with the Station Bill
- Responsible for well-being of all passengers and crew onboard
- Conduct security sweeps of landings
- Assist in deck management for landings, departures and locks as
- Check moorings, gangways, safety cones, railings, etc. once
landing is made to ensure all is safe for passenger use
- Ensure pertinent departmental issues are communicated up & down
the Chain of Command
- Responsible to properly communicate all pertinent issues
(including but not limited to personnel, departmental relations,
vessel condition, etc.)
- Perform regular periodic inspections on general vessel safety &
- Ensure all life safety equipment, fire extinguishers, etc. are
in place, in proper working order and possess current inspection
- Provide support as need to the Chief Mate
- Participate and ensure participation of all USCG mandated
drills and emergency procedures as directed
- Performs other duties if required since above stated describe
only a regular working day and may not be inclusive of every task
needed to achieve results
Requirements & Qualifications
- HS Diploma or Equivalent Required
- Bachelor's Degree from maritime academy or in a related field
- Professional Certification(s) or License:
- USCG Merchant Marine Credential - Minimum Mate - Any Gross
- Valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential
- FCC Marine Radio Operators License (preferred)
- Radar Endorsement (Rivers, Inland or Unlimited)
- Valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) -
if applicable, and/or ability to obtain and maintain
- Valid MMC
- Valid Driver's License
- Copy of DD214, if Veteran status
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to interact with guests & crew in a pleasant and
- Must possess leadership & management qualities with the ability
to give employees clear instructions & direction.
- High degree of proficiency in hand/eye coordination and depth
- Computer literate with skills in Word, Excel and
- Shiphandling & Z Drive experience is preferred
- At least one year of experience in a closely related maritime
position with supervisory experience
- Educational background may be considered to compliment the
requirements for hands on experience
- Passenger vessel industry experience preferred
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Submit to and pass alcohol and drug tests as mandated by the
USCG including but not limited to pre-employment, random,
reasonable suspicion and post-accident/incident testing.
At Hornblower Group and American Queen Steamboat Company, our
mission is to create amazing experiences - not only for our guests,
but our employees. Our company values (RESPECT) and operating
principles (Hornblower 12) allow us to live out our mission of
creating amazing experiences.
RESPECT stands for: Respect, Environment, Safety First,
Professionalism, Exceed, Communication and Teamwork. Our Operating
Principles, known as the Hornblower 12 demonstrate the ways we
promise to engage to live those values:
- We treat others - guests and fellow crew members alike - with
Respect, by fostering a diverse and inclusive environment.
- We are stewards of the Environment through practicing
conservation, protection and education.
- We believe in Safety First by creating and maintaining a safe
and secure workplace.
- We are Professional, and will demonstrate that in the following
- We are on time - to start and stop - and we come prepared.
- We make objective data- and logic-based decisions with limited
We prioritize by making difficult trade-offs and fast, quality
decisions. We follow the 80:100 rule, making decisions that are at
least 80% right, but 100% actionable.
- We Exceed expectations, embracing these principles:
- As employees, we expect to win, but always prepare and
passionately compete like an underdog.
We strive to innovate and reinvent, always looking forward and
not stuck in the past.
- We value Communication, by following guiding principles:
- We listen to each other - fellow crew members and guests - and
are responsive, vehemently following the 24-hour rule.
We are transparent and efficient in our processes and do not
entertain politics and bureaucracy.
- Teamwork helps drive us towards success, and together we embody
- We function as a team, playing our role and trusting our
- We work hard but have fun and don't take ourselves too
- And most importantly, we take the time to recognize and
celebrate our successes together under the Hornblower family!
American Queen Steamboat Company is proud to be an Equal
Employment Opportunity employer. We prohibit discrimination and
or/harassment of any type, including but not limited to
discrimination and or harassment based upon race, religion,
religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship,
sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender
expression, age, pregnancy or relation medical conditions,
childbirth, breastfeeding, parental status, veteran and/or military
statue, disability (physical or mental) medical condition, genetic
information or characteristics, political affiliation, domestic
violence survivor status, marital status, or other characteristics
prohibited by federal, state, or local law. Additionally, the
Company participates in the E-Verify program in certain
Keywords: Hornblower, Pensacola , Mate - American Queen Steamboat Company, Other , Pensacola, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!